Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Camden Market

I visited Camden Market for the first time last weekend, It's a surreal place in the Middle of London. I definitely felt as if I wasn't in the UK , there is has such a mix of people and the atmosphere is unique with a real buzz in the air, it has a similar feel to a market in Morroco or Turkey. Its an electric atmosphere with all the colours, smells and foods ( I felt like a complete tourist).

Amongst the stores of clothes, jewellery and I found the architecture to be very bold and enticing. The manicans and figurines were either hanging out of shop windows or were part of the architecture of the building. Only in London would you find a place like Camden.

3 comments:

  1. I'm from just up the road from Camden, it's an epic place. It's gone through a lot of changes and revivals over the last five years especially after there was a fire that took out a big section of the highstreet. The main changed have been in the market and around the canal. Believe it or not but it used to be REALLY skanky and you would rarely go on the other side of the bridge. Now it's buzzing with all sorts of shops, restaurants, fast food places and, of course, the roundhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I have heard about how it was like before. I couldn't imagine.The food there is amazing such a mix of different cultures. Some friends of mine live just up the road and they tend to go there every weekend, they say they discover something new everytime they visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Camden was, and still is one of my favourite places to go in London, and I think the regeneration of the market after the fire has turned it into an even more incredible place. The Stables market is now much easier to walk around in and still retains that great atmosphere. However with all new shops such as All Saints, American Apparel and H&M popping up you could argue that Camden is losing its individuality and becoming more commercail. I for one just hope that atmosphere is still there for many more years!

    ReplyDelete